NYLPI’s Disability Law Center (DLC) works to promote and protect the civil rights of people with disabilities, advocating for better programs and policies in public schools, less restrictive residential opportunities, and access to public services and all venues across New York City. To achieve these ends, the DLC’s team of attorneys, advocates and organizers engages in impact litigation
, advocates for systemic change
and provides trainings
for people with disabilities and their families.
NYLPI also serves as New York City’s federally designation Protection and Advocacy Agency, charged with defending the interests of people with disabilities.
The DLC’s work spans three main program areas:
- The Education Program represents parents and children with disabilities trying to secure appropriate, integrated special educational opportunities
- The Deinstitutionalization Program addresses the needs of adults who are or have been institutionalized, as well as those of children in foster care
- The Opportunity and Access Program fights for equal access for people with disabilities to a range of municipal services and activities including public transportation, housing, businesses, voting, police protection, and medical care and equipment
If you have a legal issue related to your disability, please call the NYLPI Disability Intake Line. The intake line is open on the following dates and times:
Monday and Friday: 9:30 am -1:30 pm
Wednesday: 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm
You will be able to speak to an advocate who will ask you for information to understand the scope of your concern and what kind of assistance you are seeking. NYLPI may provide the following types of services based on your legal needs and NYLPI’s resources:
- Full Legal Representation
- Brief Advice and referrals
- Self-Help Materials
We will provide interpreters on the phone or in person, as needed or requested. We also accept relay calls. Please call us via: telephone at 212-244-4664 and TTY at 212-244-3692.
NYLPI does not consider immigration status when deciding whether to help you.