Communications and Development AssociateJuly 8, 2021
About the Role
Reporting to the Director of Development, the position provides an excellent opportunity for an emerging digital communications professional with strong writing and editing skills to work and learn in a dynamic, fast-paced organization, with an opportunity for promotion and professional development.
The Communications and Development Associate serves a key role coordinating across the organization – working closely with program and fundraising staff to develop innovative online communications including social media, web posts, online petitions and actions, email, along with various fundraising communications.
Serving as a key member of the NYLPI Development team, the Communications and Development Associate will provide support in all areas of communications and fundraising, including:
- Dynamic position serving as the hub of storytelling for NYLPI’s work. The position develops and coordinates digital communications and social media in partnership with program and fundraising staff, ensuring messaging aligns with program strategies and goals
- Create communication content and materials, including website posts, digital actions, electronic fundraising appeals, and event flyers
- Compile, edit, and send weekly news updates to NYLPI stakeholders
- Help cultivate NYLPI’s identity and increase followers on social media
- Provide coordination and coverage for organization social media postings in collaboration with posts from program staff
- Support NYLPI’s fundraising efforts year-round in coordination with the fundraising team
- Assist with all special events and foundation proposals including creating and managing the communication schedule for all pre-and post-event marketing, and producing related press content to support foundation grant reports and proposals
- Provide technology support and facilitation for online events
- Maintain archive of NYLPI press coverage, and keep NYLPI’s website up to date with original write-ups of press mentions
- Manage a communications calendar to ensure NYLPI program and Development staff prioritize key content across teams and platforms
- Track key communications metrics, including website and social media analytics
- Attend and participate in weekly team meetings with the Development Team and the Executive Director
- Organized self-starter, able to prioritize tasks and projects, and to meet deadlines
- Strong writing, editing, and communication skills
- Ability to craft messages for diverse audiences including elected officials, lawyers and law firm professionals, individual donors, partners at community-based organizations, and individual community members
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Experience and comfort with social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- Ability to work well with team members across axes of diversity and difference
- Commitment to social justice and civil rights
- One to three years of digital communications experience
- Experience with website management and graphic design software, including InDesign, Adobe Suite, Canva, and WordPress
- Experience with managing and supporting online events, including Zoom, Facebook Live, and YouTube
NYLPI’s offices are temporarily remote, we anticipate returning to working in our office in September on a hybrid schedule. This is a full-time position with a salary range of $50K-55K, depending on experience. NYLPI offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including health insurance, short- and long-term disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan, fifteen (15) days of vacation during the first year of employment, and a holiday-swapping policy to allow for the observation of holidays of your choice.
Please send applications by Monday, July 26 to [email protected] with the subject line: “Attention: Communications and Development Associate.” Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and must include:
- Detailed cover letter explaining your interest, and experience, and answering the following required question: How have your background or experiences, professional or otherwise, prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural competency and diversity, equity, and inclusion? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.
- We strongly encourage candidates fluent in multiple languages and candidates from historically oppressed groups to apply. We are committed to advancing social justice and civil rights in our advocacy, and we value the dynamism and perspective that staff diversity brings to the work and culture of the office. We strive to promote behaviors, attitudes, and policies that enable us to work inclusively and effectively in cross-cultural situations with clients, co-workers, and community partners. We actively recruit and seek to grow and maintain a staff that is diverse along many axes, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, and national origin; disability; socioeconomic background; and sexual orientation and gender identity.
For more than 40 years, NYLPI has been a leading civil rights advocate for New Yorkers opposing marginalization based on race, immigration status, poverty, neighborhood pollution, and disabilities. NYLPI pioneered the practice of community lawyering in the five boroughs of New York City. These communities shape our priorities, and their struggles for justice demand innovative solutions. Our interdisciplinary teams of advocates use every tool available – community organizing, impact litigation and individual representation, policy advocacy, media, pro bono partnerships, and public education – to solve seemingly intractable problems, develop leaders, and build collective power to achieve justice. We strive to create equal access to health care, achieve equality of opportunity and self-determination for people with disabilities, ensure immigrant opportunity, strengthen local nonprofits, and secure environmental justice for low-income communities and communities of color.
To learn more about NYLPI, visit www.nylpi.org.
Here’s what you can do right now for justice in New York…
Stay up to date
Get updates on our cases and campaigns, and join us in taking action for justice…