NYLPI, Candid and DLA Piper Lead Training on Employment Law For NonprofitsSeptember 18, 2019
We’re here to help.
If you want to change the world, running a nonprofit includes making sure you are on top of the legal basics. On September 18 we worked with our partners at Candid and pro bono attorneys at DLA Piper to lead a training on employment law for nonprofits.
Nonprofits have to contend with a raft of employment law questions:
- How do you classify your staff? As interns, volunteers, or trainees?
- How do you hire? What procedures do you follow? Are you up to speed on New York laws about credit history discrimination? What about criminal history discrimination?
- How do you maintain employee handbooks and policies?
- What about tracking and offering rest breaks, earned time, sick time, and paid family leave?
- How do you ensure against discrimination?
- How do you make reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities?
- What are your sexual harassment policies?
- How do you document employee performance, discipline and termination?
More than 60 nonprofit leaders attended this morning’s session, armed with dozens of questions about these issues, and more.
Feeling overwhelmed? We’ve got you. The full presentation from the session is available for download here, along with a host of associated posters and documents, here. Of course, you might find it raises even more questions in your mind, in which case, perhaps it’s time to get more deeply involved with NYLPI and our capacity building programs…
Does your nonprofit need legal help?
Nonprofit organizations seek our legal assistance with a variety of needs, including incorporation and tax-exempt status, contract negotiations, lease reviews, intellectual property counsel, legal research, litigation and more.
We offer help for new and existing nonprofits, educational workshops, resources and referrals. If you’re looking to start a nonprofit, incorporate or get tax exempt status, click here. If you’re an existing nonprofit, please click here. Or you can also read our resource guides on our pro bono clearinghouse page, to find out more.
Here’s what you can do right now for justice in New York…
Stay up to date
Get updates on our cases and campaigns, and join us in taking action for justice…