Special Education “Know Your Rights” Workshop – English
• Basics of special education rights and procedures, including the least restrictive environment requirement, functional behavioral assessments / behavior intervention plans, and the IEP meeting.
• Getting and using independent educational evaluations — and what to do when you encounter roadblocks.
• The rights of students with disabilities who attend charter schools — and tips for parents and guardians considering these schools.
• How to advocate for your child who has experienced abuse, harassment, or mistreatment by school staff or contractors in the Department of Education: how to file a complaint, your right to information and participation about any incident, investigation, or follow-up, and a student’s right to be protected from harm during and after an investigation
• Your right to language interpretation at school meetings and to translated educational documents, so you can participate in your child’s education.
Here’s what you can do right now for justice in New York…
Stay up to date
Get updates on our cases and campaigns, and join us in taking action for justice…