We’re glad you’re interested in bringing your professional talents to NYLPI.
To build a sustainable community of social justice advocates, we must invest in our staff. We commit to values-based decisions, staff voice and agency, individual development, a healthy work-life balance throughout the organization, and a learning culture that seeks constant improvement. We take employee sustainability seriously, recognizing that the battle for social justice is a marathon, not a sprint, and we’re proud of our working culture. Here’s what some current employees have to say about working with us:
- “The thing about NYLPI that really attracted me was working with a bunch of really smart people who are really delivering across the board, really impressive campaign work.”
- “NYLPI allows you to be more involved. It takes your thoughts into account with many bigger decisions that other organizations and businesses wouldn’t. So I think that’s a big difference for NYLPI. You’re involved, you’re a stakeholder and they do count you in for that.”
- “I like being surrounded with people who really care about our clients, and it makes a difference for me that everyone in this office could go on to something different, but they decide to stay here and to do this work.”
- “This is an office of people who love their work. They’re really passionate, they’re really hardworking, they’re collegial. There’s a great emphasis on respect for the employees, here, and ensuring that employees’ wellbeing is looked after.”
Here are some of our staff, talking about what it’s like to work here:
To support our staff in our important work, we offer a competitive benefits package, professional development, and a range of activities in support of an inclusive culture:
- Our benefits package includes four health plan options for employees and their families; retirement savings, including a NYLPI contribution and match after one year, transit benefits, flexible spending accounts for healthcare, disability and life insurance, gym membership reimbursement, an employee assistance program, plus generous vacation, personal, and sick day allowance.
- In terms of professional development; Staff receive annual salary reviews to ensure we remain competitive with our peer organizations, we run annual performance reviews with job and learning goals; we offer individual trainings and conference attendance to support employee learning goals, and full-staff trainings on self-care and diversity. We also offer professional fee reimbursement.
- Our annual staff bake-off is in its fifth year, we hold an annual summer picnic, end of year celebration, and participate in take-your-child-to-work day.
We occasionally have job openings, and post them here, as well as broadly on the Internet, on careers sites such as idealist.org, and on our LinkedIn feed.
We don't have any vacancies at the moment.
Law graduates and admitted attorneys are encouraged to volunteer at NYLPI. Our practices in disability rights, environmental justice, and health justice offer anyone interested in public interest work access to stimulating work, practical experience and mentoring. Interested volunteers should send an e-mail with a resume to [email protected].
NYLPI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color and individuals with disabilities.